How to target Facebook ads at your website visitors
Hate it or love it, Facebook drives a massive percentage of traffic for most websites. For New Zealand Entrepreneurs, our top drivers are search engines, Facebook, and Twitter, and then others like Pinterest, LinkedIn, Feedly and Flipboard.
Recently we’ve been using a relatively new Facebook advertising feature called WCA (website custom audiences) that has been working very well for us. Essentially, the social network allows you to target people who have visited your site with your ads.
This is excellent if you want your readers to like your page especially because it creates an audience that, for the most part, is genuine and interested. I see it as a way to create an organic audience quickly through paid advertising. I know many people will disagree with me, but the results we’ve seen speak for themselves.
[Tweet “Use WCA to target Facebook ads at people who have visited your website. “]
WCA can also help drive traffic to your website. For example, you can create a custom audience from posts with a specific keyword,and you can target ads for similar posts to that audience.
The main reason we like it is because it is very cost-effective. Only people who have recently been on your website will see our ads, thus reducing the CPM (cost per thousand impressions) and increasing the CTR (click-through rate).
Here’s the easiest way to create a WCA.
1. Click on the gear icon on the top right of your Facebook account and go to the ads manager.
2. On the left, click Power Editor (click here for the direct link.)
3. Click on “Ad Tools” on the top right, and in the drop-down menu, click “Audiences.”
4. Click “Create Audience,” and in the drop-down, click “Custom Audience.”
This will give you several useful choices – another of our favourites is the MailChimp Custom Audience, which takes the email addresses from your MailChimp email list, matches them with Facebook profiles, and let’s you target ads or posts to them.
5. Click “Custom Audience from your Website.”
6. Accept the Terms and Conditions, then hit “Create Audience.”
7. Enter a Name for your Audience, and optionally a description. Then click “View Remarketing Pixel.” Copy this.
*If you’re using WordPress, login to your Dashboard, scroll down to “Appearance,” hover over it, and then click “Editor.” Find the “header.php” file, click on it, paste your code in just before the
</head> tag and hit save.
8. Then fill out the fields. These are fairly self explanatory, but add your URL’s/domain’s first, followed by keywords (if any)
9. Hit “Create” to save your audience.
10. Now go back to Facebook, click on the gear icon, click on “Create Ads.”
You can create most ads targeted at your WCA. In the Audience section, just select your custom audience, and you can further refine it too. For Page Likes, we select “Only people not connected to New Zealand Entrepreneurs” so we don’t spend money on like ads for people who have already liked our page.
Hope this will help you as much as it has helped us! If you have any questions, leave a comment and I will try to answer them as best I can.