Zomato acquires Kiwi startup MenuMania
“We are thrilled to welcome MenuMania to Zomato,” said Deepinder Goyal, Founder and CEO of Zomato. “The MenuMania team is very passionate about restaurants and helping people discover new places to eat. We look forward to working closely with them to leverage their local expertise.
“Together, Zomato and MenuMania will be the largest resource of restaurant information in New Zealand, and I am sure both our users will love the integrated product once it rolls out over the next few weeks.”
The founding team of MenuMania will be working closely with the Zomato team following this acquisition. In the next few months, both companies will be working to integrate MenuMania with Zomato.
“We will be able to combine our local knowledge about the market, with the technology Zomato brings to the table,” Deepinder Goyal continued. “It will also deliver greater value to local restaurant businesses, as all the users in NZ will have access to their information on a common platform now.”
“Overall, it is going to be a big win for our users, MenuMania, Zomato, and business owners as well,” said Cristian Rosescu, Founder & CEO of MenuMania, and an Otago Polytechnic graduate.
MenuMania Zomato has been aggressively expanding its global presence with launches in Europe and Southeast Asia in the past six months, while also working to strengthen its presence in existing markets. This acquisition is a strategic move to establish Zomato’s presence in the Pacific.
Sahil Ludhani, Country Manager for Zomato NZ, said, “Menumania will be a big boost for Zomato’s relatively new business in New Zealand. Combined, we will be able to offer our users a large number of reviews and menus, all in one place, making Zomato the de-facto choice for users in NZ. We are also expecting our team to more than treble from the current size in the next six months.” This is Zomato’s first acquisition globally.
Deepinder Goyal, Founder and CEO added “This acquisition is the first of more to come, in our mission to be the dominant player in this space across the globe.”
- Zomato is one of the world’s largest restaurant discovery services, and is now present in 12 countries.
- Zomato has acquired Menumania, the leading restaurant guide in New Zealand.
- Menumania was founded in 2006 by Cristian Rosescu, who was later joined by his wife Karen Gibson.
- Menumania is one of the most prominent players in New Zealand in Tech, and has been around for almost 8 years
- Zomato launched its services in Auckland and Wellington in July last year, and extended its services to Hamilton in December, 2013.
- The Menumania website will eventually migrate to Zomato.co.nz to maintain a single identity.
- The current set of restaurant reviews on Menumania will be put through the Zomato review quality filters to ensure consistency in quality and authenticity.